Friday, August 14, 2015

Rollover IRA Roll Out: Avoiding Early Exercise


Probably the #1 reason that covered calls are exercised early is to capture a dividend. This happens when an equity nears its ex-dividend date and the time value of an in the money call is less than the value of the dividend. This week my position in ED/Sept 18 65 Call was in just that situation.

Using the "Ask" price we have:


With a $0.65 dividend coming up and only $0.53 worth of time value you can be pretty sure that these options are going to be exercised. So what can I do?

The obvious answer is "buy to close". That would have cost $1,100.00 (plus commission). And we'd end up like this:


That's not too bad. We end up with a theoretical $110 gain, collect the dividend September 15 and all is well, right? Well, maybe not. On the ex-dividend date we can expect the equity to trade lower by the amount of the dividend. In our case that's 500 shares times $0.65 for $325.00. I do want to keep the stock in my account so let's look at another possibility: Roll Out.


Thursday I executed the order you see above. I simultaneously bought the 9/18 65 to close and sold the 11/20 65 to open for a net $0.75 credit or $375.00 (less $16.74 in commissions) and preserved my September 15 dividend of $325.00. The ex-dividend date for the December dividend will be the sometime about the first week of November so I'll need to keep an eye on this position when November rolls around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment