Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Tuesday Booze Day - New Horizons!


You want these - Horror In Clay
Those of you who know me know I enjoy the occasional adult beverage. I've been mostly a scotch and beer kinda guy with wine associated with particular dishes I've cooked. Lately though I've been thinking that with more time on my hands in the near future I should start expanding my beverage repertoire. So when I started seeing H. P. Lovecraft, and Edgar Allan Poe inspired Tiki mugs on Kickstarter I knew what direction I had to take!

Falernum #9

Falernum is a clove, lime and almond infused rum mixture that shows up in dozens of Tiki drink recipes. There are commercial versions available, but since it's not hard to make your own...


Falernum #9
Recipe by Paul Clarke
Ingredients
  • 180 ml Wray & Nephew White Overproof Rum
  • 9 Whole Limes, zested, the juice reserved
  • 40 Whole Cloves
  • 42 grams Fresh ginger, julienned
  • 28 grams Slivered almonds, toasted
  • 415 ml 2:1 Simple Syrup
  • 1 dash Almond extract
  • 135 ml Fresh Lime Juice
Cooking Directions
  1. Place the lime zest, cloves, ginger, and almonds into a superbag.
  2. Place the rum in a Ball jar, immerse the spice bag, and seal the jar. (Or just toss 'em all in and strain later.)
  3. Allow the mixtures to infuse for 24 hours.
  4. After 24 hours, remove the spice bag and squeeze as much liquid into the jar as possible.
  5. Add the simple syrup, almond extract, and lime juice to the infused rum.
  6. Seal, shake well, and use in your favorite Tiki drinks.
  7. Falernum #9 will keep refrigerated for up to a month.


I'm still collecting ingredients for my first real Tiki drink, so in the meantime here's a healthy morning smoothie:

Banana Daiquiri
Recipe by William Colsher
Yield: 2 Servings
Ingredients
  • 30 ml Fresh Lime Juice
  • 30 ml Simple Syrup
  • 90 ml Gold Puerto Rican Rum
  • 1 Ripe Banana, Sliced
  • 230 grams Ice
Cooking Directions
  1. Tare the ice into the Thermomix bowl.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Process at speed 8 for about 20 seconds.
  4. Pour into glasses and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment